PSA #2 - Revocable Living Trust

It's been awhile since I posted my first PSA. I wasn't sure what I wanted to share, but I just realized there is another subject I'd like to bring up to my friends and family. That is the creation of a Revocable Living Trust.

We created ours when I was 40 and Michael was 45. I remember sitting in the office of the representative crying like a baby. You don't want to think about getting sick or dying when you just turned 40. But we knew with two kids, a house, investments, pensions, etc. it was the right thing to do to protect not only our future, but also the futures of our boys.

It was a fairly easy process and cost around $1,000 at the time. We had a really great person who walked us through the creation of the documents, sent it out to a legal service and then followed up with the signing and notarizing all sections of the Trust. (it is quite a large binder)

The reason I bring this up is that with Michael unable to make any decisions or even sign his name to documents since his stroke, I have been able to take care of business because of the decision we made almost 12 years ago. I have had to sign many medical documents over the past few weeks. I've also had to copy sections of the Trust such as the Advanced Health Care Directive to give to the hospitals we've gone to. This was to be certain that Michael's wishes for medical care would be honored in case something went horribly wrong.

Most recently, since I have Power of Attorney for him, I was able to sign paperwork for the school district. Something so simple, but very important.

So...Friends and Family, $1,000 +- might seem like a lot of money, but trust me, the peace of mind that it brings and security it provides is well worth it. Find a way to make it happen, sooner than later, because you never know when life will take a detour.

💗


Popular posts from this blog

All is well

Fun Fall - October 2021

March 2021